Few weeks back, I have changed the way you can comment on my blog and have been sharing the idea. It got appreciated and now I am sharing the code. Based on the feedback, I might release a WordPress plugin for the same. Please go through, share your honest opinions, brain storm. This will only make it better.
I could have used Disqus or some other popular commenting system. But I made a custom one because:
1. Most of my viewers are redirected from Facebook or Google+. There is a high probability that even when someone is directed by Google search, the viewer might be signed in to Google.
2. We do not require to use a third party application. Not many people like using them. To an extremely new internet user, this might seem confusing as well. I need to mention – not many are well versed and comfortable with the internet. Most (more than 96%) of my viewers are from India.
3. Based on their choice of commenting, I would like them to stay connected to me. If they are comfortable with Facebook, just before the space where they can type their comment, I require to place the Facebook like button. Same with Google+. If it is the default system, they have option for the RSS feed.
4. Even if the user is not signed in to any service, they have an option to sign in to Yahoo or AOL or Hotmail to comment.
5. I was not able to place it as desired.
I am not attaching screenshots to explain the same. You can check the comment box below this post.
How can you use the code?
For a non technical blogger, this might be slightly confusing. But let me try my best.
Step #1: Open a notepad. Copy the code and paste it to the notepad.[gist id=8950119 file=gistfile1.txt]
Check the code and replace few text with links. You can use Ctrl+F as a shortcut.
Step #2: Replace “YOUR_BRAND_NAME” with the name you use for your promotion. It can be the name of your blog or the name of the product or service you are promoting. You might as well put in your name. You need to replace it at two places.
Step #3: Replace “YOUR_PAGE_LINK_HERE” with your Facebook page link.
Step #4: Replace “YOUR_GOOGLE+_LINK_HERE” with your Google+ profile link.
Step #5: Log in to your site. Go to Dashboard > Appearance > Editor. Be careful while you are editing the code. On the right hand side towards the end of the list, you will see “Single Post (single.php)”. Click on that. Ctrl+F and check where you find “<div class=”navigation group”>” .. Copy the code from your notepad and paste it right above the <div class=”navigation group”>
Step #6: Scroll down, click on “Update File” button. Return to Dashboard.
I guess that shall be it. If you like the idea / the tabbed comment box, please do leave for me a comment. If you use this and face difficulties, please let me know.