Photo walking can be an exciting way to know and to make newer friends in your city. Grab your camera, stroll across the lanes of your city. Search for places beyond pubs/bars and voila! You feel so wonderful from the inside!
You never know what you discover, whom you meet and what stories you come across. I’m still clueless about the enormity or spontaneity of Kolkata. I am still discovering the lanes and the people.
I never knew how beautiful the Vidyasagar Setu looks after the first showers of the norwesters or perhaps how peaceful the flutter of feathers seem, when the pigeons set their flight from the top of a building’s crest.
Very recently I came across a building of B.K.Paul. I was struck by the architecture of the building. I could not resist myself and I went in, met the person who was selling medicines and asked him about the place. The mammoth structure was built in 1855, 2 years before the first war of Indian Independence.
Ganga Arati in Baghbazar Ghaat, Kolkata. Photograph: Arya Chakraborty.
It doesn’t really matter which camera you use, I urge – start strolling and discover the city!
Who knows, you might develop a taste for street photography? Or perhaps contribute good stories to “Humans of Calcutta” page. Shoot and store photographs and print your own coffee table book or a customized calendar. Or simply be a proud Kolkata blogger, sharing your experiences with the world.
If not anything else, discover the fabulous street food, the city has to offer& the history associated with it.
Whatever much you might not do, photo walks will surely burn some good amount of your calories.
Street food is an integral part of any photo walk, Photo-walk in China Town. Photograph: Zishan Asad.
Things required in a photo-walk:
- Sunscreen lotion: Yes, that’s my top priority these days.
- Shoes: Proper comfortable shoes. If you are a photographer, make sure your foot doesn’t slip while you press the shutter.
- Hankerchief: You would not appreciate sweat / moisture / dirt on your Facebook profile picture, if your friends shoot one for you.
- A bottle of water: A thing, which I do not carry with me at all.
- Comfortable clothing: In my case, shorts.
- Money and antacid: It is highly probable that you will sneak into Royal’s and have Mutton chaap and Rumali Roti or some place similar to it… and if nothing else, will pamper your taste buds with the variety of street food in Kolkata!
- Regarding lens – it differs from person to person, situation to situation.
In fact my own photography skills bettered with Kolkata Weekend Shoots, a group of photographers who photo walked every Sunday. It does not exist today, but there are possibly more than a hundred groups which conduct photo walks. If you are a starter, prefer professional services like The Calcutta Walks or a rather friendly and committed group of amateur photographers – Cam2O.
During weekends, I plan photo-walks (on behalf of “The Meetup Group : Photography Discussions;”) and I give public updates about it. If you can find time you can join us as well. Till then, join the Facebook discussion:
- In Germany during COVID times… - April 13, 2020
- Is Germany going to be the next Italy? - March 23, 2020
- Covid19 infected cases in Germany / Saxony-Anhalt / Magdeburg: Graphs and personal shitposting. - March 21, 2020
- Student Jobs: Tutoring! - February 25, 2020
- Elbe Sandstone Mountains: Lilienstein & the stone bridge of Bastei. - January 6, 2020
- Magdeburg: Life beyond studies (2). - December 27, 2019
- Plagiarism - November 19, 2019
- Heritage Trams in Magdeburg! - November 10, 2019
- A Bengali child’s introduction to Germany! - November 9, 2019
- Exmatriculation, AOK, a ducked up life & etc! - November 7, 2019